Architecture - Careers in Architecture
A rapid economic development in the last few decades coupled with a breakneck pace of urbanization in India has led to an ever increasing demand for creating living spaces that are not only affordable but are aesthetically pleasing too. This real estate boom has imparted a special importance to the job of an architect. Right from the stage of planning a building's design to the stage of actually implementing int on the ground, a career in architecture treads a fine line between art and science.
An architect, while designing a structure has to balance a number of factors, ranging from the functional and technical to the aesthetics. This provides an opportunity to both- the artist and the scientist, to tap into their inner potential.
- The basic requirement for a successful career in architecture completion of a five year undergraduate course after 10+2 with Math and English as mandatory subjects. Most colleges offering the B.Arch. (Bachelor in Architecture) course specify a cut-off of at least 50 percent in 10+2 for admission into their ranks. These architecture courses are recognized by the Council of Architecture (COA) and serve as a springboard for entry into this field.
- The Indian Institute of Technology (I.I.T.) Kharagpur and Roorkee are among the best architecture colleges in the country.
- However, to ensure a fruitful career as an architect, a B.Arch. might not be enough. This is where a Master's degree in architecture (M.Arch.) comes in. A Master's degree with a high level of specialization not only guarantees a job but also equips the degree holder with a considerable clout in the job market.
An architect is burdened with the responsibility of not only ensuring that his creations are economically viable and environmentally sustainable, he's also tasked with creating structures that fit in with the surroundings. A career in architecture requires flexibility, versatility and a high degree of specialization. The set of skills and expertise required to build a residential apartment are, after all, very different from those required to build a museum.
In the design as well as the construction phase, an architect's job is also to ensure that a connection is maintained with the past and the culture of the society.
Careers in Architecture
In whichever sector an architect wants to venture into, they're required to register with the Council of Architecture (COA) as soon as they successfully enroll into an architecture degree. Once they do that, there are plenty of jobs for architects out there. Be it working for the government agencies like the Central Public Works Department (CPWD), private construction companies like DLF and Sahara or teaching at architecture colleges like I.I.T. Roorkee and I.I.T. Kharagpur, an architecture career is out there for every skilled professional. With a few years of experience, an architect as an entrepreneur can even start their own business.
While a beginner can expect to earn anything between Rs. 1 Lakh to 1.5 Lakh per annum, the salary increases gradually with experience. An experienced architect can command up to Rs. 5 Lakh per annum in the current market. Even within the field, the salaries vary widely, with private companies paying more than the government sector to hire skilled architects.
The demand for residential housing is only going to increase as time passes. As the supply side struggles to keep up with the burgeoning demand, it is logical to assume that the job prospects and salary of architects would witness further increase.
Here are some of the largest public sector employers in this field in India:
- Public Works Department
- The Archaeological Department
- Ministry of Defence
- Departments of Railways
- Post and Telegraphs
- Public Sector Undertakings
- National Building Organization
- Town and Country Planning Organization
- National Institute of Urban Affairs
- Housing and Urban Development Corporation
- National Building Construction Corporation Ltd.
- City Development Authorities
Some major and high-paying private players in design and construction sector in India:
- Eros Group
- Gammon India
- L & T
- Aeons Construction etc.
Top 10 Architecture Colleges in India 2017
|No.||Name of the College/Institute||City|
|1||School of Planning and Architecture||New Delhi|
|2||Sir J J College of Architecture||Mumbai|
|3||Chandigarh College of Architecture||Chandigarh|
|6||Department of Architecture, NIT Tiruchirappalli||Tiruchirappalli|
|7||Manipal Institute of Technology||Manipal|
|9||Faculty of Architecture and Ekistics, Jamia Millia||New Delhi|
|10||School of Architecture, R.V. College of Engineering||Bengaluru|
Architecture Engineering Colleges
- Himachal Pradesh