ad horizontal

Frequently Asked Questions - German Higher Education


Do I need to know German?
Yes. A working knowledge of the German language is necessary. Unless you select an international course of study which is taught in English, like the Grenoble MBA course at GISMA, you need not be fluent in English. However, it is always helpful to learn the language of the country for your basic needs. You can learn German either in India or enroll in a language course in your university. For details on learning German, click here.

What are the documents that I need?
You would first need a valid Indian passport and then a student visa. Other documents that you would need are scholarship and funding documents, admission letter, health insurance papers and so on. Click here for details on the list of documents you would need for Germany.

What does it cost to study in Germany?

Tuition fees are not required in most colleges especially in the state-run universities. However, other charges like accommodation, travel, registration, contribution fees and admission charges make Germany a moderately expensive place to stay. Check the section on Cost of Study for detailed information.

Image Alt

What are the types of programs that I can take up in Germany?
You can do a  Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree or a Diploma which is offered in Universities of Applied Sciences. You can also do an MBA or M.Sc from a college like GISMA which offers renowned degree courses. For details on programs, click here.

How do I find an apartment?
You can consult the student office of your university for accommodation advice. You can also get information on accommodation through newspapers, classifieds and notice boards. You’ll get relatively reasonable accommodation in so-called shared living quarters (Wohngemeinshaften) and in student dormitories. For more information on accommodation, click here.

Can I work during my period of study in Germany to finance myself?
As a student of a non EU country, you are allowed to work only for a specified period i.e. 90 days or 180 half days in one year. You need to get permission from your university and contact local employment office. Check more about student jobs in Germany, right here.

Where do I send my application for admissions to studies in Germany to?

You can apply directly to the universities of apply through DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service). For application deadlines and details, click here.

What are the scholarships that I can avail for studying in Germany?
The biggest scholarship programme and the most popular one is run by the German Academic Exchange Service or DAAD. Check here for various research grants offered by different institutions for Indian students.

What are the formalities for getting a student visa?
You need to consult the German Embassy in Delhi for application details and forms. Click for details on student visa information.

Related Links

ad horizontal


Join Our Whatsapp Community

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud