Established in 1950, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics is an autonomous institute for basic research and training in physical and biophysical sciences. Named after the Meghnad Saha, the physicist, the institute offers a number of Research, Doctoral, and Post Doctoral Programs in Physics and Nuclear Physics.
The institute has approximately 125 faculty members, 20 post-doctoral fellows and 80 graduate students. The University of Calcutta acknowledges it as a Centre for conducting research for doctoral degrees and providing facilities for teaching and research in Physical and Biological Sciences.
The administrative control of the institute with the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Government of India, according to an agreement entered with the institute in 1992.
The institute has a governing council chaired by the Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission, India (and Secretary, DAE, Govt. of India). The other members comprise of three scientists nominated by the DAE, two representatives of the DAE, two nominees of Calcutta University, one nominee of Govt. of West Bengal and the Director of the Institute.