If you want to serve the nation with pride and want to have a distinguished career surrounded by the waters then a career as a Navy Sailor is for you. Keep in mind this is a career for men among boys and who keep their country before them, where duty and commitment towards work are taught by example. If you believe that you possess such an adventurous soul who enjoys to be surrounded by the blue waters, then this is the right career for you.
The applicant for the post of Sailor (Artificer Apprentice) should be of the age between 17-20 years (i.e. he should not be less than 17 or more than 20 years on the date of enrollment).
Applicant for the post of Sailor (Artificer Apprentice) should be a resident Indian. The Gorkhas, subjects of Nepal, are also eligible for applying for AA recruitment.
Applicant for the post of Sailor (Artificer Apprentice) should be an Unmarried male.
The candidate applying for the post of Sailor (Artificer Apprentice) should be physically fit for enrollment into Indian Navy. This capability is tested at the examination venue on qualifying in written examination and is termed as Physical Fitness Test (PFT). Qualifying in Physical Fitness Test is mandatory.
Physical Fitness Test will consist of 1.6 km run that is to be completed in 07 minutes, 20 Squats (Utthak Baithak) and 10 Push-ups.
- Advertisements for recruitment of Sailors (Artificer Apprentices or AA) are advertised in the Employment News and all leading National/Regional Newspapers in Dec/Jan and Jun/Jul every year.
- The application form for the recruitment of Sailors (Artificer Apprentices or AA) is published in all leading Newspapers and local dailies, which may be used. Alternately, the form in the prescribed format may be typed on plain paper.
The following documents are to be punched and tied firmly with a strong thread to the application for the post of Sailors (Artificer Apprentices or AA) in the sequence as given below:-
- Two spare recent Passport size photos with the candidate’s name written on the reverse (In the absence of recent photograph candidate will not be allowed to appear in the examination).
- Application for the post of Sailors (Artificer Apprentices or AA) is to be filled in capital letters with one recent passport size photograph pasted at the right top corner
- Attested copy (by Gazetted officer only, indicating name, designation and phone Numbers below signature) of matric /equivalent certificate for verification of date of birth.
- Attested copy (by Gazetted officer only, indicating name, designation and phone Numbers below signature) of mark sheet of Diploma/Higher Board examination/Matriculation , as applicable.
- Attested copy (by Gazetted officer only, indicating name, designation and phone Numbers below signature) of other certificates viz. NCC/Sports/etc.
- Attested copy (by Gazetted officer only, indicating his name, designation and phone Numbers below signature) of Domicile certificates.
- Two self addressed envelopes of size 22 x 10 cms with Rs 10/- stamp affixed on one envelope and one blank envelope without stamp is to be submitted alongwith the application form. On top of the envelope, containing the application the Type of Entry and choice of examination Centre is to be clearly written.
- Outstanding Sportsmen who have participated at International/ National/State level should send applications for the post of Sailors (Artificer Apprentices or AA) to the Secretary, Indian Navy Sports Control Board, Room No.08, `C’ Wing, IHQ MOD (Navy), Sena Bhawan, New Delhi-110 011, on the specified date.
- The candidates are to qualify in the sports trials in addition to Physical Fitness Test, Written examination and Medical.
Written Paper- The question paper is bilingual (Hindi & English) and of objective type. The question paper contains questions from English, General Knowledge, Science and Mathematics.
- Applications are received through Ordinary Post only and no other mode of dispatch is acceptable.
- Eligible shortlisted candidates are sent Call-Up letters, indicating date, time and place for examination as scheduled.
- Results of the Written Test are generally declared on the same day.
- Those who qualify Written Test are permitted to undergo PFT and only those who qualify PFT are taken for Medical Examination. This whole process is generally completed on the same day but may also take 3-4 days time depending on the service requirements or due to external unknown factors which may crop up un-announced.
- Those who are declared Medically Temporary Unfit will be required to report to the specified Military Hospital within a maximum period of 21 days for review from the date of initial recruiting medical examination.
- Those who are declared medically unfit can appeal for specialist opinion in a Military Hospital on payment of Rs.40 by Military Receivable Order (MRO) in the Government Treasury within 21 days. Medical fitness certificate from other than the specified Military Hospital will NOT be considered .
- An All India Merit List of all those candidates who are qualified in all respects will be prepared at IHQ MOD (Navy), New Delhi depending upon the numbers to be inducted. Out of this list, the centre wise select list of candidates will be displayed in the respective Recruitment Centres. However, final enrolment will be subject to medical fitness at INS Chilka.
During the initial training period, the approximate pay for Sailor is Rs.3,200 pm. On completion of initial training depending on Rank and number of years of service approximate emoluments at present rate for Sailor is Rs.4,330 to Rs.16,395 pm.
Apart from this a sailor is entitled to free ration , accommodation and medical treatment for self and dependents. A sailor is provided with a life insurance cover of Rs. 3,50,000 on a nominal premium of Rs.250 p.m. Promotion prospects exist upto the rank of Master Chief Petty officer(equivalent to Subedar Major of Indian Army).
Nine weeks Basic Training at INS Chilka followed by 08 weeks sea training.
The beginning of engagement of sailor with the Indian Navy is subject to successful completion of training. The period of the initial engagement of the sailor is for 15 years subject to successful completion of training.
However, engagement (i.e. service) period is extendable with maximum limit being until the attainment of 57 yrs of age, which, in turn, depends on the rank attained and satisfactory performance by the sailor while in the service.
The sailors in Indian Navy are also provided with the pre-release training, which keeps them in good stead professionally after they are released from the Navy.