An AC explodes in a smart classroom at government school in Erode, no casualties reported.

Tamil Nadu: When a teacher at a middle school that specializes in government switched on the AC, they were met with a cloud of smoke billowing out of the indoor unit. Within minutes, it burst into flames.

Tamil nadu goverment school ac explode

On Tuesday morning, one of the teachers at the Government Middle School in Erode district, which has over 300 students enrolled from LKG to Class 8, turned on the AC in their smart classroom. 

However, almost immediately after the AC was switched on, a thick smoke started emanating from the unit. The students who were present in the room at the time were quickly evacuated and no one was injured in the incident.

Within a few minutes, the AC burst and damaged several electronic materials, police said. Karungalpalayam police, Education Department officials, and parents of the students rushed to the school after being notified. A case has been registered and police are investigating.