ad horizontal

Higher Education in Canada

Higher education is the responsibility of provinces and territories. The government of each province and territory grants funds to educational institutions. The remainder of funding comes from tuition fees, grants given by the federal government, and research grants.

Almost all institutions that provide higher education can grant valid academic credentials. Different higher educational institutions in Canada are:

Universities: Generally, Universities grant degrees (e.g., bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate degrees). Since the universities get grants, the tuition fee is relatively lower as compared to private universities in other countries, like, the USA. Top 13 research oriented universities in Canada are  together called the Group 13.

The members are

  • University of Alberta
  • University of British Columbia
  • University of Calgary
  • Dalhousie University
  • Université Laval
  • McGill University
  • McMaster University
  • Université de Montréal
  • University of Ottawa
  • Queen’s University
  • University of Toronto    
  • University of Waterloo
  • University of Western Ontario

University Colleges: These colleges are affiliated to different universities, and offer students a choice between academic oriented university degree programmes and vocational diploma/certificate courses.

Community Colleges and Technical Institutes:
 These colleges provide training in industry oriented vocational courses. Although most Community colleges and technical institutes grant diplomas/certificates, some  also grant applied arts degrees that are equivalent to degrees from a university.

Private Career Colleges: These institutes of higher education provide short term industry oriented training. They specialize in such areas as business, computers, and secretarial skills. Even though most Career Colleges are privately owned, their functioning is overseen by legislative acts of each province, to ensure quality education, among other things.

Related Links

ad horizontal