Indian Navy Sailor
If you believe that you possess such an adventurous soul and are driven by a calling to serve the country, then a career in the Indian Navy as a sailor is right for you. This article provides detailed information about job prospects, salary, recruitment procedure and career of an Indian Navy sailor. So, read on if you want to start a career in this highly rewarding and fulfilling field.
**Did You Know? There has been update to the TOEFL test. Now you can finish the TOEFL test faster than ever!
- Artificer Apprentices (AA)
- Senior Secondary Recruit (SSR)
- Matric Recruit (MR)
- Non-Matric Recruit (NMR)
Artificer Apprentice (AA)
Senior Secondary Recruits (SSR)
Matric Recruit (MR) & Non Matric Recruit (NMR)
|Age||17 - 20 years||17 - 21 years||17 - 21 years||17 - 21 years|
|Nationality||Indian or Gorkhas (Nepal)||Indian or Gorkhas (Nepal)||Indian or Gorkhas (Nepal)||Indian or Gorkhas (Nepal)|
|Marital status||Unmarried male||Unmarried male||Unmarried male||Unmarried male|
|Education||Qualified 10+2/ equivalent exam with subjects Maths, Physics, and Chemistry||Qualified 10+2/ equivalent exam with compulsory subjects, Maths and Physics, and optional objects of chemistry/ biology/ computer Sc.||Cooks & Stewards (MR): Qualified class 10|
Topass (NMR): Qualified class 6
|Qualified class 10. Musical ability:|
|Physical Standard||Qualifying Physical Fitness Test which consists of:||Qualifying Physical Fitness Test which consists of:||Qualifying Physical Fitness Test which consists of:||Qualifying Physical Fitness Test which consists of:|
|Training||15 weeks of basic training at INS Chilka followed by professional training in the allotted trade at any naval establishment.||NA|
|No. of years of service||Initial service of 20 years, which can be extended till sailor is 57 years old (subject to rank attained & satisfactory performance.)||Initial service of 15 years, which can be extended till sailor is 57 years old (subject to rank attained & satisfactory performance.)||Initial service of 15 years, which can be extended till sailor is 57 years old (subject to rank attained & satisfactory performance.)|
As and when advertisements for recruitment of Sailors (AA/ SSR/ MR, NMR) are advertised in the Employment News and all leading National/Regional Newspapers in Dec/Jan and Jun/Jul every year, you may apply online at nausena-bharti.nic.in
Click on "Sailors entry" while applying online. Take 2 printouts of the online application form. You will need to send some documents and your photographs to the Naval office. These details will vary for different posts. You may check these details on the official website while applying online.
Indian Navy Sailor Selection Procedure There would be a Written Paper (only for AA & SSR profile).
Indian Navy Sailors Salary
- Applications are received through Ordinary Post only and no other mode of dispatch is acceptable.
- Eligible shortlisted candidates are sent Call-Up letters, indicating date, time and place for examination as scheduled.
- Results of the Written Test are generally declared on the same day.
- Written test is followed by PFT, which is then followed by a medical examination; this may take 3 – 4 days depending on external factors and service requirements.
- Medically Temporarily Unfit will be referred to a Military Hospital within 21 days of first medical examination for review.
- If declared medically unfit, you may appeal of for a specialist opinion; pay Rs. 40 Military Receivable Order (MRO) in the government treasury within 21 days (no other medical fitness certificate will be considered).
- The All India Merit list will be prepared and list of selection of candidates will be displayed centre wise at respective Recruitment Centers; final enrollment is still subject to Medical Test at the INS Chilka.
During the initial training period, all recruits receive a stipend of INR 5700 per month. On successful completion of the training period, the Grade Pay, Military Service, Group 'X' pay (if applicable), DA (Dearness Allowance) and allowances of the trade to which they are allotted less the stipend already paid is fixed.
All the Indian Navy sailors are categorized as 'X' and 'Y' for salary purpose. Artificer Apprentices (AA) fall under 'X' group and rest of the sailors in group 'Y'.
Rank wise pay scale of 'X' Group (Artificer Apprentices Sailors):
MCPO = Master Chief Petty Officer
RANK PAY BAND Pay in Pay Band
'X' Group Pay
Apprentice PB-1 5200 - 20200 2000 2000 1400 Artificer V PB-1 5200 - 20200 2400 2000 1400 Artificer IV PB-1 5200 - 20200 2800 2000 1400 Art III - I PB-2 9300-34800 3400 2000 1400 Chief/ArtPB-29300-34800420020001400 MCPO II PB-2 9300-34800 4600 2000 1400 MCPO I PB-2 9300-34800 4800 2000 1400
Rank wise pay scale of 'Y' Group (SSR/MR/NMR)
|RANK||PAY BAND||Pay in Pay Band |
|Grade Pay |
|Seaman II||PB-1||5200 - 20200||2000||2000|
|Seaman I||PB-1||5200 - 20200||2400||2000|
|Leading Seaman||PB-1||5200 - 20200||2800||2000|
|Petty Officer||PB-1||5200 - 20200||2800||2000|
|Chief Petty Officer||PB-2||9300-34800||4200||2000|
All recruits will get Rs. 5700 per month as stipend during their training period . On successful completion of training Grade Pay, Military Service Pay, Group 'X' pay (if applicable), Dearness Allowance and allowances of the trade to which they stand allotted less the stipend already paid. The rate of stipend will be increased by 50% every time the DA payable on revised pay band goes up by 50%.
|ALLOWANCE||TO WHOM GRANTED||Amount per month (varies according to rank)|
|Instructional||Deputed as Instructor at Training Establishments/ institutes listed in Govt. letter||900-1500|
|Marine Commando||Qualified as MARCO||10500-12600|
|Diving||Ships Diver, Clearance Diver I, II & III||600-900|
|Sea Duty||Sailors serving onboard ships|
|Hard Area||Sailors posted in Nicobar and Lakshadeep Group of Islands||25% of Pay in |
|CILQ||Married sailors not allotted Govt. Married Accommodation||2400-8100 (On the basis of Classification of Cities & Rank)|
|Transport||All Sailors||(400-1600) + DA|
Other perks for Indian Navy Sailors:
- Sailors have access to books, reading material, uniform, food and accommodation etc for free while at training and even afterwards.
- On completion of each phase of training, sailors get annual leave on free railway warrant.
- Sailors are entitled to medical treatment and Leave Travel Concession for self and dependents. Group Housing benefits and other privileges at Government expense are also available
- Insurance cover of Rs. 25 lakhs is given by IHQ MOD (Navy) at a nominal INR 2500 per month.
- Sailors can avail up to 60 days Annual Leave and 30 days Casual leave every year subject to service exigencies.
- Other benefits include pension after completion of requisite service, gratuity and accumulated Leave encashment post retirement.
- Other admissible expenses include children education fee and house rent allowances
The sailors in Indian Navy are also provided with the pre-release training, which keeps them in good stead professionally after they are released from the Navy.