GATE 2019 Application Process
The last date for submission of application for GATE 2019 through online payment mode is 21 September 2018.
A candidate can appear for any paper he/she wishes to continue their education in, but it is advisable to appear for the paper which corresponds with the discipline of his/her qualifying degree.
Apart from GATE, every institution will have its own guidelines and criteria, so it is advisable to check before applying.
GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS)
Only online applications are permitted for GATE 2018. An online interface, GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS), is provided as the mode of interaction between GATE and the applicant. A GOAPS Enrolment ID and a GOAPS password are required to login to this interface. The password should not be shared or disclosed to anyone and must be kept confidential. Other constraints include that the password must be between eight and fifteen characters in length and strings like \a, \b, \n, \r, \t, \\ are not permitted to be contained in the password.
The process helps the candidate:
- Enroll for the GATE examination through the "New User Register Here" button
- Fill the GATE application form online
- Upload candidate's photograph and signature
- Either pay the application fee through the net-banking provision or payment through challan via State Bank of India or the Syndicate Bank
- Check the status of your online application (statuses like : Received, Under Scrutiny, Accepted, Defect Status, Status after Rectification, Rejected with Valid Reasons, Admit Card Ready for Download)
- Allow the candidate to contact the zonal GATE office if any query or problem were to arise
- Provision to download the Admit Card
- View your responses, the marks obtained and the GATE score.
FILLING IN THE ONLINE APPLICATION
Enrollment of the candidate is the first step. A valid and frequently used email address, mobile number and a GOAPS password have to be provided for enrollment. All communication will be through email and SMS, so ensure the data submitted is your correct personal email and mobile number.
The GOAPS password is to be remembered along with the GOAPS Enrolment ID which will be provided post registration via email and SMS. This ID will be used for further communication with the GATE office. A password which will not be easy to guess and does not contain the candidate's name, date of birth or and simple strings like 1234, abcd, and other related strings. This is to ensure security of information.
Before logging in to the GOAPS interface, it is important to have the following information at hand:
1. Personal Information (name, date of birth, personal mobile number, parent's name, parent's mobile number.)
2. Address for Communication complete with PIN code
3. Eligibility degree details like college address, PIN code of the college, etc
4. GATE exam discipline and choice of GATE Examination centers in cities
5. Good quality photograph
- The photograph must be in color and must be taken in a professional studio, and not using a mobile phone, or cropped out of another image, or any other self-composed portrait.
- The background must be white or light.
- The height of the face between the chin and the top of the forehead must occupy around half of the height of the photograph.
- Facial features must not be covered by hair, cloth or any other obstruction. The eyes should be open and both ears must be visible.
- If the candidate wears spectacles, glare is not allowed. The spectacles must not be tinted or dark, and may be removed, or the face may be position slightly downward so as to avoid glare.
- The photo must be in JPEG format on a standard 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm print and of resolution 350 x 450 pixels.
- Pixel range width should be between 250 and 500 and width to height aspect ratio should be between 0.66 and 0.86.
- The file's size should be between 5KB and 100KB
6. Good quality signature.
- The signature must not be in Capitals, must be full and complete, of good digital resolution and is not taken by a mobile phone or poor camera.
- The signature must be scanned using a scanner at 200 pixels per inch and the box of size 7 cm x 2 cm containing the signature with black or dark blue ink pen must be cropped.
- The image must be in JPEG format and have pixel width between 300 and 550.
- The height to width aspect ratio must be in the range 3.15 o 4 and file size must be between 5KB and 100KB.
7. Valid ID proof details (the same will be carried in the examination hall)
8. If in case of fee payment online, Net-Banking login and password.
9. If in case of challan, challan details may be required.
GATE 2019: Application Fee
The application fee is non-refundable and varies as per mode of payment. Payment can be be through online net banking (any bank Debit/ATM Card, Credit Card, Net Banking) or e-challan. Additional bank charges may apply depending on which bank you're using. The following charges are as per State Bank of India (SBI) and Axis Bank where GATE 2017 account is opened and where the money is to be transferred:
MODE OF PAYMENT
Online Net Banking
All Other Candidates
ONLINE PAYMENT DETAILS
- The candidate will be redirected to the website of the bank that they have selected.
- Login will be required using user's Netbanking ID and password.
- Fee amount and bank charges will be shown, and confirmation for the same to GATE 2019 is required.
- Once confirmation is successful, the page will redirect to the GATE website.
- The status of payment can be checked from the bank's website, and that of the GOAPS portal.
- Money will be credited back if the money has been debited from the account but not acknowledge by GOAPS.
- Fresh payment can be done online, or the candidate can switch to offline challan payment.