ad horizontal

Work and Study Permit in China

Any person, who is not a Chinese citizen or a permanent resident of China, requires a visa in order to enter the country.  A permit is also necessary to stay (or sojourn) in China. The Chinese High Commission, Embassy or Consulate in one’s resident country issues a visa so that one can travel to China. Upon arriving in China, one’s visa is endorsed at the ‘port of entry’ (for example, Beijing Capital International Airport, Beijing, Shanghai Pudong International Airport, Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport, and Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport).  The same visa then becomes one’s temporary residence permit.

Student Permit

Foreign students are required to submit Visa Application Form for studying in China. The form (JW201 form) must be submitted at the nearest Chinese embassy.

Self-paid students and students of in-college exchanges projects chosen by the Chinese universities can, by the Admission and the Visa Application Form for Self-Supporting Foreigners Wishing to Study in China (JW202 form) Form both delivered by the Chinese universities and the Physical Examination Record for Foreigner, submit applications to Chinese embassies and consulates for X visa within due terms.

If one plans to stay in China for less than half a year, he/she may apply for a foreign visa.

Entry Procedures to china:

  • Foreign students should enter in confirmation with due terms of  visa plicies, and must undergo the inspections at frontiers inspection station, customs, and health department.
  • A passport inspection at inspection station is required for entrance into China.
  • Foreign students entering China must truthfully fill the Passenger’s Health Report formalities.  Physical Examination Record for Foreigner by hospitals or protective inoculation certificates must also be presented. On arrival to university campus, inspection of health certificates of foreign students is mandated. If the health records are found to be out of date or some items are found lacking or improper, then re-examinations are necessary.

Following documents are required:

Visa Application Form of the People’s Republic of China must be filled out with absolute accuracy, seriousness, and care. Failure to provide information in a complete manner may lead to delay or rejection of the application, in which case the applicant shall be solely responsible for all the likely consequences.

Following are documents necessary for application of a student visa:

  • A valid original passport. The passport must contain blank visa pages.  Pages for endorsements or amendments can not be used as a visa page. The passport should be valid for at least 6 months.
  • One completed Chinese Visa Application Form signed by the applicant.
  • Application form for children (under the age of 18), must be signed by their parents or guardians.
  • One recent passport size photograph must be affixed to the visa application form. Life photos, copied photos, and digital photos that are printed on ordinary paper are not acceptable.


Additional documents

  • L visa

A copy of outward and return flight ticket booking
A copy of Chinese hotel booking (please note the applicants who are below 14 years old or born in China (including Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan) as shown in the passport are not required to provide this)
If the applicant is going to stay at a relative or friend’s home while visiting China, and consequently unable to present hotel booking, an invitation letter containing the residence address, telephone number, and a copy of the host’s ID card or residence permit must be provided instead.

  • F visa

Documents mentioned in part A.
A copy of outward and return flight ticket booking.
A copy of Chinese hotel booking.
Visa Notification Form (which is issued by the relevant department of Chinese government, companies or institutions, under the authorization of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China. Detailed information can be obtained from the Foreign Affairs Office of the relevant province, autonomous region and municipality where the inviting party resides.)

  • X visa (for studying more than 6 months in China)

Documents mentioned in part A
JW-201 or JW-202 form issued by the Ministry of Education of China.
A letter of admission from a Chinese University/College.

Work Permit

  • Z visa (for long-term work permit)

Documents mentioned in part A
An employment permit from the Ministry of Labour, Social Security or the State Administration of Foreign Experts of China.
An invitation letter from a relevant Department of Chinese Government or a government-authorized company.

  • J-1 visas are valid for 3 months for a single entry with no specified duration of stay. One is obliged to apply for residence permit at the local public security bureau within a month after entering China. J-2 visa holders may stay in China within the pre-determined duration sanctioned for the stay.
  • G visa (for transit through China)Documents mentioned in part A

A copy of Chinese hotel booking.
A copy of outward and return flight ticket booking.
A valid visa for the country of destination.
Applicants should check the issued visa upon collection and if necessary raise any queries at the same time. If there is no immediate query relating to the issued visa, the applicant is held responsible for any circumstances thereafter.

Visa Processing Time

Four working days are needed for regular visa application processing. A surcharge of $50 or $35 shall apply for Rush (same day) or Express (second or third working day) services, respectively. All Rush applications should be submitted prior to 11 a.m.

Related Links

ad horizontal