The first Indian Institute of Technology, established in 1950 in Hijli, Kharagpur, is situated about 120 km west of Calcutta.
The name Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur was adopted in August 1950. The foundation stone of the new institute was laid by Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru and was inaugurated by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad.
The layout of the present IIT KGP campus and the design of buildings were carried out by a host of engineers and architects under the guidance of an eminent Swiss architect Dr. Werner M. Moser.
The institute initially started with only 10 departments, 42 faculty members and 224 freshers. An eminent scientist, Sir J.C. Ghosh was the first director of the institute.
On Sept. 15, 1956, the Parliament of India passed an act known as the Indian Institute of Technology (Kharagpur) Act declaring this Institute as an Institute of national importance. The Institute was also given the status of an autonomous University.
In addition to the main campus at Kharagpur, the IIT Kharagpur has two extension campuses one at Calcutta and another at Bhubaneshwar. The extension campuses provide venue for continuing education programmes, and distance learning courses (e.g. PGDIT).
The old building of IIT Kharagpur has Nehru Museum. The museum collects technical models abondened by many other institutes for exhibition. The museum was started in the Hijli Detention Camp which has been renamed “Hijli Shahid Bhavan” on 16th September, 1997 on the Hijli Martyrs Day to commemorate the martyrdom of two freedom fighters at the Hijli Detention Camp in September 1931.
The museum provides historical prospective to the advancement of scientific and technological knowledge in various fields by means of models, experiments, demonstrations, photographs, manuscripts, geological specimens like fossils etc.
Read: IIT Kharagpur Placement
The Nehru Museum of Science and Technology was established in 1990 with the objective of:
The museum is a financially independent entity. It welcomes donations.
The museum is run by a management committee approved by BOG, IIT Kgp.